staytothelights

My Blogtastiic reviews

Linked
Imogen Howson
The Fall (The Glimpse, #2)
Claire Merle
The Husband's Secret - Liane Moriarty This review has been x posted at The Book Twins

Cecilia thought she had the perfect marriage, that is until she discovers a letter written to her from her husband in the case of his death. What happens when she decides to open it? She couldn't be prepared for the consequences of that one decision. That one action which will change everything she thought she knew, forever.

This novel goes through the lives of three different women who each discover a secret about someone close to them. A secret that could very well change everything they knew about their own lives and the people in it.
We start with Cecilia, who discovers a letter hidden in the attic written to her from her husband to be opened in the case of his death. This is something she brings up to him, and even though he dismisses it, she has the feeling that it's somewhat important. She might have been prepared to be surprised, but when she does open the letter and the contents are revealed ; Cecilia will be opening a can of worms that she will never be able to close again.
Then we have Tess, who has been married to Will for many years, but the soon discovers the ultimate betrayal; that he is in love with her best friend and cousin. With this new revelation, she packs up herself and her son and goes to stay with her mother for a while. During this time she'll be reaquainted with an old flame, new realisations and discoveries.
lastly, we have Rachel. She is a a woman who is haunted by a past she can't seem to forget. She is plagued with feelings of regret and revenge after the death of her daughter many years ago.

These three women, all who have secrets and issues themselves, start to connect to one another as you discover connections to one another. Can they discover a way to put the past where it belongs and move forward? Or will they always be haunted by secrets they will never be able to get rid of?

This novel moved me so vividly. Liane is a great storyteller. Not only on Australian fiction, but also into the real lives of women, secrets and lies. This story shows that it's not just women that hold secrets, but the men in our lives. Sometimes you can overcome them, and sometimes you can't all depending on the seriousness of the issue and if it's possible to work toward a resolution.

I loved the fact the marriage between Cecila and her husband, and Tess and her husband, Will went through some real-life situations and issues. Matters were brought up. The past came out in the open, and the issue of forgiveness and the ability to move on is brought to the table.
I definitely wouldn't mind reading more from this author, especially one who was able to make me engage into a story very quickly into a novel.

Thank you to Pan MacMillan for giving me this chance to review this book, and also to experience this new kind of story that I probably wouldn't have read on my own.

Rating: 5/5