staytothelights

My Blogtastiic reviews

Linked
Imogen Howson
The Fall (The Glimpse, #2)
Claire Merle
Pearl in a Cage - Joy Dettman This review has been x posted at The Book Twins

In the first book to Joy Dettman's "Woody Creek" series, we have a bunch of residents of a small town in Victoria, Australia lives a midwife who one night in 1923 stumbles upon a young pregnant woman about to give birth.
Having no choice, midwife, Gertrude is forced to deliver the child into this world. Soon after, the mother passes away and Gertrude decides to give the child to her daughter, Amber and her husband who recently lost a child of their own.
During the course of this book we see as the child named Jenny grows up and how the residents of Woody Creek respond to her in their lives. This is the story of a young girl, her family and the people of this town as they interconnect to one another.

Joy is such a fantastic, descriptive storyteller. I haven't seen anything like it before. The way she describes certain things and the small town of Woody Creek --- it's obvious that she has had experience in small rural towns growing up.
The people in this town are so connected. Some in good ways and some in bad. We travel on the journey as we discover a vital moment in Jenny's life where things start to become haywire for her. And that is the very moment that changes the course not only for her, but her family and the entire town.
When one person experiences something; the whole town does.
I really felt for Jenny so much. This book concludes when she is 14 years old, and she has not had the easiest of times. Her relationship with her sister and mother could not be any worse than it already is. It's her grandmother Gertrude and father, Norman who are her light in her life. The only sort of normalcy she can have.

This was a different sort of book than what I was used to, but when I was approached to review this book from Pan Macmillan, I decided to expand out of my normal genres and give something new a shot. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't often read Australian books although this as it turns out I liked more than I thought I would.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5