staytothelights

My Blogtastiic reviews

Linked
Imogen Howson
The Fall (The Glimpse, #2)
Claire Merle
Misguided Angel (Blue Bloods, Book 5) - Melissa de la Cruz Posted @ my blog
The Book Twins | YA & Adult reviews

Melissa delivers yet another fantastic installment to her BB series, and this one sure does not disappoint. I'm not even sure she knows the meaning of the word. :P
Not only do we get both Schuyler and Mimi's usual POV's in the book, but we also get introduced to a new interesting character, Demming Chan. She is someone she was brought in to help with an investigation in which they can't solve themselves.

We also see glimpses of the past from Florence and see something seriously went wrong back then. I personally would like to hear more of the past. I find it very fascinating of past cycles.
This story brings us a few new developments, and ones which we might not have expected.
A budding new friendship in the form of Mimi and her unlikely partner in well, not crime, Oliver. This was something I really liked. Mimi herself has been growing on me since the previous book, and I feel these two would have more in common than they would like to even admit to themselves. But when they find themselves working side by side, they soon discover it's a task that is not as horrible as they originally thought it might be.
Mimi also faces some new challenges. In her new work as regis, and also some personal conflicts. Will she choose love, or revenge?

Schuyler and her love, Jack find themselves with a battle all of their own. They are still on the run, but trouble is never too far behind them. I can understand that some people might think things have gotten boring between them, but I don't think that is the case. Sure, things might be different now they are together, but that does not mean they don't have things to face and overcome that is standing in their way. They have Mimi who is hunting Jack down, and if he goes back to New York, there is a chance his soul could be burned on the blood trial.
They don't have much time for themselves, but what they do have, they make it worth something. Sometimes small moments is all you have, and you have to make it count and that they sure do.

New character, Demming Chan also finds herself in quite the situation when she gets put on a case that turns its head inside out. Just when you think you have the killer, doesn't mean you know the full story.
She gets brought in when a girl is found dead, and she is determined in discovered who did it, and for what reasons. But as she digs deeper inside the case, she starts to learn things about the people closest to the girl in question that make things appear clearer, and more tragic once the truth finally gets revealed. It's a doozy and one she never thought she'd see.
It was interesting to see this new character come into the story, but I quite liked her. She was strong, determined and honest. I look forward to discovering more about her and her sister, who seems to be coming in quite soon given the ending of the book.

Melissa always seems to do a great job at keeping the story fresh, and true to the characters. This world is so fascinating I feel I never want to move out from it.

Verdict -- 4/5