staytothelights

My Blogtastiic reviews

Linked
Imogen Howson
The Fall (The Glimpse, #2)
Claire Merle
Hex Hall - Rachel Hawkins This review has been posted at The Book Twins

Meet Sophie Mercer. 16 years old. Witch.

If only that was the only part of the story.
Sorry...

After a love spell gone wrong, Sophie gets sentenced to a place where there are others 'freaks' like her. This school, or prison, Sophie likes to refer to it as contains kids of all kinds. Witches, faeries, shifters and even vampires.

When a witch coven tries to covert her, finding out she has a vampire for a roomate and then developing feelings for a hot, yet unavailable warlock....Sophie might wish her life was simplier.
This story is jam packed with all sorts of crazyiness. We have ghosts along with the all the other supernatural creatures at Hex Hall.
Sophie gets a history lesson and by the end of the book she'll start to wonder whether she knew who she really was to begin with, and she discovers who really sent her to this hell of a school, and that admission won't earn her any points with the people there.

I found Sophie to be a strong character. She grew up as normal as possible, especially with a mother who was human, but things didn't stay that way when she came into her powers that she didn't quite understand or know what to do with.

We have a hot boy crush. Archer.
Who doesn't love him? He is sort of mysterious in his book, and you don't quite understand him or the things he does in this book, and by the end of it... you'll start to think.. that maybe you, nor did Sophie know him at all.
The two of them have a little... beginning of a romance going on, but it's also kind of difficult when he has a girlfriend, who seems to hate her.. the feelings seem to be mutual though.

This book was thrilling and I loved it from the very first page. I like that we get to see different types of creatures. I adore the friendship between Sophie and her roomate, the vampire. Her relationship with Archer, and even the scenes between her and the ones she dislikes. It makes for interesting reading.

The plot is interesting. It's one of those books where once you start and the more you get into the story you cannot stop until you have finished.
For the first book in a trilogy.. Rachel Hawkins did an amazing job, and I have a feeling that Book 2 will be just as great, if not even better.

5/5